Below is a list of resources you may use to build your face-to-face course in Compass in the event your course needs to be moved online. Many of the resources include links to the UIUC Knowledge Base with directions for how to implement these items in your course site. If any of the links below do not answer your question, the Knowledge Base is an excellent place to turn to (in addition to Blackboard’s Help Documentation). You may also reach out to Technology Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or CITL’s Instructional Support & Training Team at email@example.com.
Request a Course Space
Get started by asking our team to set up a Compass 2g site for your course. Our courses come with readymade Compass 2g course shells created by our eLearning experts. You can modify these pre-existing templates as needed to suit your course. Your course will be published online and allow student engagement, interaction, and learning to continue. IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make certain to hide the course space from your students if you are not ready for it to be visible. Otherwise, it will open automatically.
File Uploads (Word, PPT, PDF)
There are a number of reasons you may want to share files with your students. Depending on the file type and the reason for sharing, there are a few ways you can add files to your course site in an accessible and easily navigable way.
- Adding a File Attachment
- Adding Multimedia Files
- File Storage Limit – NOTE: Although there is no limit, instructors are encouraged to use Box if there are a lot of very large files.
- U of I Box, Getting Started – NOTE: Be sure to review file permissions to ensure students have access to the files you’d like to share.
Video File Uploads/Mashups/Kaltura/Illinois Media Space
If you plan to upload a video you own or created to your course, we recommend using the Mashup tool to add a video via Kaltura/Illinois Media Space. Read more information on uploading videos to Kaltura/Illinois Media Space.
- Save PowerPoint Presentation as a Video – NOTE: Although you can attach a recorded PPT as a video, we recommend using the Mashup tool to add video to your course site. For directions on how to do this, see the Creating a Mashup Item Using the Text Editor link.
- Creating a Mashup Item Using the Text Editor
- Add Video to a Test in Illinois Compass
Live Sessions & Virtual Office
Assignments, Quizzes/Tests, Discussion Boards
If you need to add grades that were previously tracked elsewhere for your face-to-face course, we recommend that you add a single column and enter all of the previous points as one score in that column. If you have weighted grades, you will need to add multiple columns as described in “Creating Weighted Columns in Gradebook” link above.